Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Melted Crayons





From roving to hat... one of my favorite projects to date. I purchased this as "Melted Crayons" 4oz of roving from a vendor at the Finger Lakes Fiber Fest 2009. Did not have a lot of time at this fest to shop because I took 2 spinning classes. One spinning silk, and one spinning novelty yarns.
The first 3 oz became a 2 ply skein of about 160 yards. The last oz I plied 60 yards with blue glass beads (thanks to that novelty class!). The pattern I used is probably my favorite hat pattern right now. It is a crochet pattern, but has ribbing that mimicks a hat that is knitted. Used the larger skein as the hat, and beaded skein for the band of the hat. There is a bit of beaded skein left, probably enough to make a scrunchy, that is about all I can think it can be good for. Love the coloration of this hat, and happy to see the roving made it into a completed project. Not quite my style so haven't decided if I will list on etsy, keep, or perhaps the garment competition at Finger Lakes 2010?


No comments:

Post a Comment