Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Louet Roving Carder





My drum carder arrived last week. As suspected I went with the louet. Tough decision between the standard size and the new roving style carder. After a guild meeting, some consideration of cash (where else I could put the spare $200), and the fact these things just don't devalue quickly(resale a possibility to upgrade), I settled with the smaller one.

First projects...
1. Recard the mohair alpaca blend from my hand cards now a half dozen balls instead of many little fluffs. I still have over a couple lbs to blend but have to pick the mohair first. A task for when I have more time. Once I settle with a good blend percentage, I just might list some of the kid Mohair on etsy. I won't be parting with this cheap though, Hazel's first clip was a decent length AND a nice micron count.

2. Carded the last bit of Icelandic lamb wool. This I previously dyed with foodcolor to get pink. Or did I? Maybe it was kool-aid? Well something food dye related anyhow. I blended this with un-dyed bamboo. The intended project was to spin and then ply this pink with some pokeberry dyed wool from the fall. I have a ball of firestar in pink I have not decided if I am going to run the wool/bamboo back through the carder for some sparkle or not. Being rather green with my carder I don't want to have all the sparkle end up on the smaller drum instead of in the roving.

3. ???? I don't know what will be next. I have to root through my fiber tote and see what I have in there. I know some merino and bamboo. BUT with sheep shearing this coming weekend, I might get involved with processing my new shetland wool before toying with novelty fiber I have acquired in antiscipation of the carder.



**on 5/5/10 decided to run the pink back through to add in the firestar. Maybe spinning this at the Mom's day guild meeting. Hoping for enough to get a hat for Paisley next winter.



** it's early June and I turned this pink into 2 ply yarn. It's soft, Jim thinks it is insulation pink. Only came up with 114yds so I don't see it becoming a hat, at least not using my fav hat pattern.




















No comments:

Post a Comment